A Pinterest strategy for bloggers? Yes! Pinterest is an ideal place to find new and fresh content. Bloggers can use Pinterest to get more traffic to their blog. In this article, we will discuss Pinterest strategy for bloggers so you can start driving traffic from Pinterest today!
Does Pinterest still work for bloggers?
Yes definitely, even if your blog is new and you don’t have much content, you can still drive traffic to your site from Pinterest. Pinterest can be a great new traffic source for bloggers. As your Pinterest account becomes more established, it will also become a good source of engagement and connection with your audience (something many bloggers are looking to achieve).
Content on Pinterest is evergreen which means it will be relevant for a long time.
How do bloggers use Pinterest?
Many bloggers use Pinterest as a marketing tool for their new blog posts. This is a great way to get more visitors to your blog and increase your blog’s Pinterest followers.
Here are five tips you can use to elevate your Pinterest strategy for bloggers and bring on the traffic.
Pinterest strategy for bloggers
Now you might wonder “What is the ultimate Pinterest strategy for bloggers”, “How do I get my blog noticed on Pinterest?” and “How to drive traffic from Pinterest to your blog?”. Keep on reading to learn how to skyrocket your blog traffic from Pinterest.
Here are some important steps to get traffic from Pinterest:
Sign up for a business account
To start driving traffic from Pinterest, you will sign up for a business account or convert your existing account.
When you sign up for a business account and verify your website, you’ll have access to Pinterest analytics and Pinterest insights. You can use those to see what your audience is looking for and how you should be pinning.
Also, make sure to apply for Rich Pins. These are basically pins with more information than your standard pin. There are five different types – movie, article, product, app, recipe, and place. Rich pins have information like real-time pricing, visible titles in search results, and a direct link to your site.
Article pins are perfect promotional tools for bloggers because they display all the information necessary to attract and encourage pinners to visit a blog.
Focus on pin description
Next, focus on the text that appears with each of your pins. You want a title and pin description of each photo you post. The title and pin description is telling the reader what your pin is about.
To really maximize your pin’s potential your pin needs to be Pinterest-friendly. Pinterest has certain guidelines that your pins need to fit in order for them to show up on Pinterest’s search results page.
Use SEO-friendly keywords to help Pinterest rank your content higher in their searches. Pins with long descriptions are the most repinnable. It’s also a great strategy to add relevant hashtags to your pin’s descriptions.
Related article: Pinterest SEO Traffic Secrets – How to skyrocket your growth
For high engagement your pin needs to be:
Make it easy for pinners to find your pin with a clear title and description.
Explain what your pin is about in a short and clear way.
Sensory-related words are great to use in your pin description to draw attention and make your pin stand out among others.
Include a call-to-action in your description. Using phrases like, “check out” or “click to find out more” can generate more clicks. Remember you want to have a save but also a click.
Create click-worthy images
Creating pinnable and click-worthy images is a really important Pinterest strategy for bloggers that want traffic to their blog. Pinterest is about visuals so you need compelling content that people want to share on Pinterest or add to their boards. You want to create an image that is attention-grabbing and showcases your blog’s content in the best way possible.
To do this, you need to follow Pinterest’s guidelines for images.
Let’s look at three important tips to focus on when creating a pinnable image:
- Use the ideal image size
Pinterest favors vertical images. Most pinners view the Pinterest feeds on mobile phones so it just makes sense to use images that are more tall than wide.
So, what is the optimal size for a pin? The ideal Pinterest photo size is 1000 x 1500px and has an aspect ratio of 2:3.
These Pinterest dimensions are recommended by the platform for standard size Pins, to guarantee the best Pin image quality possible!
Image sizes should be a minimum of 600 x 900.
Pinterest says 1000 x 1500 is the ideal Pinterest image size because if your image goes outside this ratio it could get truncated in the feed and people won’t get to see your full pin.
Pins that are long are considered more favorable by many bloggers on Pinterest since they take up more room on the feed, making it hard to pass.
2. Use high quality images
Also I’m a member of Styled Stock Society where I find so many great stock photos for my pins as well as marketing materials like Pinterest templates, Instagram templates and more. They have so many awesome stock photos especially for bloggers.
So what images work on Pinterest?
- Use paid stock photos – Your pins will recieve more engagement if you use paid stock photos since these images are used by fewer people and therefor considered more unique by Pinterest.
- Avoid human faces – images without a human face receive 23 % more repins. Pinners like to look at things more than they do at faces.
- Go with vibrant colors – Choose red, orange, and brown instead of blue. These three colors outperform blue nearly 2:1 in repins.
- Use a spare background – pinners dont like busy backgrounds, so make sure you use a clean and simple backdrop. Images made up of less than 30 percent background are repinned the most.
- Maintain moderate light and color. Very light and very dark images are not successful on Pinterest. The same goes for saturation.
- Tasteful branding and logo – Be tasteful with your branding. You want to add credibility to your pin without taking away attention from what you are pinning.
3. Include text overlay on your image
If you want your pin to grab attention and generate traffic to your blog, it’s great to include a text overlay to your image.
It looks more professional and it helps the pinner to quickly know exactly what your pin is about.
Remember to use Pinterest-friendly fonts. Pinterest prefers sans serif font over serif font and script font because they are easier to read on their mobile app. If you want to mix in a beautiful script font don’t use it on the important keywords. Pinterest will have a hard time reading what your pin is about and it might not appear to the right audience.
Pin at the right time
Finally, you need to know when to pin! Pinterest is a social media platform, so it’s important to know when your followers are online.
In my own business and for my clients’ social media accounts I’m using the scheduling tool Tailwind. With Tailwind you will have the possibility to schedule your pins to the time slots that get the most engagement. Tailwind knows will show you exactly when you should pin for optimal reach.
Join Pinterest group boards
If you want to grow your Pinterest followers and find more people who are interested in what you pin, then join Pinterest group boards! It’s a great way to make connections with people that share similar interests as yours.
You can also search for pins on specific topics and follow those groups.
How to find group boards on Pinterest
Now you might wonder how to find Pinterest group boards:
- You can find them by choosing group boards in the search field.
- You can also find groupboards on PinGroupie.
How to join group boards on Pinterest:
So, now to how to join Pinterest group boards:
- Get to know the creator of the board by following and repinning their content. Pinterest isn’t only for pinning, you can develop a strong community by commenting on pins. You can also leave comments on the creator’s blog posts. This will help the creator to know who you are and trust you when you eventually contact them to join their Pinterest board.
- Check for invitation instructions – some group boards have instructions in their description. It may be as easy as pushing a “join” button or emailing the group’s creator. One thing to keep in mind is to be polite and clear about your intentions when making this request.
- Get invited by a group member – as a group member, you can invite other new members – as long it’s allowed in that specific group.
How to create a group board on Pinterest:
So, what about how to start a group board on Pinterest?
If you want to create a group board, there are two ways to do this:
- Create a fresh board as normal, but instead of skipping over, “collaborators,” you can add other users by their name or email address.
- You can convert one of your existing boards to a group board. Then you can invite other pinners or bloggers to your new group board.
Knowing what to pin about
It’s important to know what content you should pin on Pinterest to get the most out of the platform and drive traffic to your blog.
Here are some tips on how to know what to pin on Pinterest:
- Check Pinterest home feed for inspiration. By scrolling through Pinterest’s home feed you’ll find a lot of popular pins that are perfect for your blog. It is also possible to search by topic and this way type in what has been working well on Pinterest so far, or take inspiration from the pinner’s pinned content.
- You also have the option to see what type of content has been working well on Pinterest so far. Pinterest lets you access your analytics where you can get an overview of how many pins are pinned per day, week or month from which category they come from and how many saves and clicks each image have.
- Pinterest sends “recommended pins” through email and on their desktop site based upon your previous activity. This makes it very easy for bloggers who want a quick way of knowing what would be best to post next without looking too much into analytics.
Increase your Pinterest traction with a social share plugin
By using the Tasty Pins plugin and its amazing Pinterest-specific features, you can grow your presence on Pinterest and in turn, wildly increase your reach and traffic.
Tasty Pins is a social sharing plugin that generates Pinterest-specific pins for any post you publish on your blog. It’s easy to use and has tons of features that make it the perfect Pinterest plugin.
Some benefits Tasty Pins offers are:
Whenever someone clicks on the social sharing button, they are immediately redirected to Pinterest with the image and description already prepared – ready to pin.
By putting in the extra time to create a Pin image and description for each blog post, you can decide what gets shared on Pinterest by your blog visitors. This means you can target only the most optimized images and keywords.
Use Tailwind Tribes
Using Tailwind tribes is another powerful secret weapon to drive more traffic to your blog.
Tailwind tribes is a community of people who share the same interests as you do. It’s kind of a group of bloggers who share each other’s pins on a common topic. You can use Tribes as a marketing platform for your targeted content. Tribes gives you an opportunity to get your content in front of a new audience. This way you can grow your Pinterest following and get more repins which in turn drives more traffic to your site.
Pinterest is a powerful platform for bloggers looking to grow their blog traffic. Pinterest lets you target specific audiences with your content, which can help you reach more people who are interested in what you have to offer.
Pinterest also gives bloggers the chance to keep track of other relevant users in their niche by joining group boards and Tailwind tribes that share similar interests and goals.
No matter if you run a small or big blog you can use this Pinterest strategy for bloggers to successfully increase traffic to your site!